Friday, March 6, 2009

3 decades down...

Well as some of you surely know my birthday is fast approaching. 7 more days and the tens place on my odometer will chunk over another digit... To me this is a little like watching the old family car roll 99,999.9 here it comes, the anticipation.... 100,000 miles whoo hoo who'd have thought our old car would roll 100,000 miles. Where have we been driving? Think of all the places we must have went... Work, home, work, 2 to 3 treks to iowa from Massachusettes a year. That 3600 miles treking through Colorado, Wyoming...

All to quickly the reminicing is replaced with...Well crap now our car is officially old, the kelly blue book just dropped like a rock, and that new car smell is definately replaced with that what the hell did we throw under the seat smell???

While my wife lovingly assures me men become more attractive as they age, and the ladies at the grocery store still like to card me for boose(they ask if I wouldn't mind so they look diligent to their bosses) I can't help but notice it takes a few more days to recover from a basketball game than it should...

I'm not really that pesamistic, I know the best is yet to come. All and all I'm doing well. I weigh less now than when I graduated College, I eat healthier, I travel more, I am in better shape.

But I am also in limbo. I'm not a new car with all the cool stuff, and I am not that well maintianed classic either. I'm that 85 Dodge Omni that has been way to taken care of waiting to come back into style.

In the background this birthday is a little bittersweet to me. My father passed away at the ripe old age of 62, which means next year I will be half his age and I can't help but wonder if he thought it was half over on his 31st birthday??? I know I am not at risk or as unhealthy as my father. I have learned a lot from the examples before me but I think when ever a tens spot turns over you have to double it and think. Where will you be then, will you have done as much as you have up till now? Or more. I know for me the goal is to do more, live more, love more.

It's a tall order but who better to fill it!

JR

4 comments:

  1. Well, I may be older than you, but I have no gray! :)
    Think of all the cool things we will do yet together! What is on your list? Maybe I'll post mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 30 is king of the 20-somethings. 31 was harder for me...that's when you realize that they just keep coming.
    Quality not quanity buddy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are not a dodge omni... you are an el camino my friend...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday Jeremy! Congratulations on completing 30 years. May you complete 30 more times two.

    Kristin

    ReplyDelete