Thursday, March 5, 2009

Are the good old days around the bend?

Last night on my way home from a Faculty Student basket ball game(we won, we are undefeted! Faculty rule students drool!!!) And I was listening to NPR on point discussing the affects of the economy on the youth of our country. The discussion covered the emediate and long term affects of living in and through a recession/depression. It was interesting to hear the testimonials from highschool students. "now I have to think about the money I spend..." "my college education is a good investment but maybe a state school would be better since I will actually be able to pay my students loans when I get out". As I listened to these "harsh realities" I couldn't help but think. Welcome to the real world. Everything that I was hearing just made me think Duh, this is my life. This has always been my life.

Its getting bad out there peopel are having to budget their houshold bills!!! People are having to decide if they need 400 channels of cable or food!!!
People are getting a taste of what a majority of the worlds population already deals with on a daily basis and it evidently doesn't taste good, but medicine seldom does.

I remember just 2 years ago haveing a conversation with a student in class.
me: Yes student x what do you need?
SX: I need to leave and go to my room.
me: What for?
SX: I need my Ipod, I cant work without it.
me: You what your Ipod?
SX: I need it, I need to listen to MY music....

While I do understand that there are many truely suffering from job loss, and uncertainty, I see the current situation as the dirrect consiquence of the glutany of the last 15 years. Of course our economy is dropping like a rock its backbone is finance(smarty pants investors inventing ways to magically conjure up money from nothing but thin air) and industries like ringtones. A huge portion of our economy is bassed on sh*t, imaginary sh*t and sh*t NO BODY NEEDS!

The good news is the youth who have up to this point not really been challenged are in many cases grasping and dealing with the reality. parents who bought their child complacency in the past are forced to have tough conversations, thats right, parents are talking to their children!!! Children are LISTENING!!! It gives me hope that the "me" generation is getting a good dose responsability before they graduate highschool and college.

jr

1 comment:

  1. Wow, you're such a downer. I want that ringtone that old people can't hear, because I can still hear it. :)

    I'm just glad we live in a place where if it really hits the fan, we have cows out the front, corn out the back, and guns to borrow from my father... he he.

    ReplyDelete