Tuesday, October 28, 2008

The frost is on the pumpkin

Well fall is here and I actually know it this year! the frost on my car window this morning confirmed it. I have anxiously been watching the slow transformation of the landscape out my kitchen window. The entire state of Iowa looses 7 feet of elevation each year as the corn crop is drawn in and the fields are prepared for wintering.
For several weeks I have watched as the early corn is chopped for feed over winter as well as the nervious shuffling of grain wagons form here to there all in anticipation of the last efforts of another life cycle of our planet. It seem quaint and boring at times but it resets my internal clock and sense of place and time.

I realized the affects of living here while I was discussing living on the east coast at lunch with colleagues the other day. One of them said something about boring old Dubuque... I quickly found myself defended the "boring-ness" of our particular geographical region. I forgot how evident the changing seasons and cycle of life are here. Living in a thriving busy metropolis often found myself forgetting what time of year it was, what day of the week it was. Even in New England the fall foliage would sneak up on me all the time. Life in New Bedford ran by the banks clock and the tides.

My life was task oriented not life oriented.

I am now finally settling in to a new way of life where I drive to work and think about where I am and what I am doing. Listening to talk radio and thinking about what they are saying, not cursing at other drivers or pedestrians or old ladies crossing against the light in downtown Boston!!!
Instead of fussing i find myself focusing? No small task for a mildly ADHD 20 something. I see the crops harvested and the steam rising from the herds of cattle. Everyone busying with the task of harvest preparing for a long rest and anticipation of spring. Life is a race to the finish and I definitely think I am tortoise ready to pace my self for the long hall. I do miss the hustle everyone in a while but hey that's what vacations are for!!

1 comment:

  1. and the hustle misses you as do the old ladies in boston.

    ReplyDelete